Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Homemade Fondant by Arlene Chavez

Not all people like the taste of fondant. I personally think the store bought fondant doesn’t have much of a taste. I am the type of person that likes to try everything at least once, so I decided to make my own fondant. I followed the directions exactly as written on YummyArts recipes. The only difference was that my microwave was on the blink and I couldn’t nuke the marshmallows. I guess I must have had a blank moment and tried to melt the marshmallows on my stove. I would check the marshmallows every twelve seconds. At first everything was hunky dorrie, but after the second checking I started to smell something burning. I kept thinking, “it smells like someone is making s’mores”. Much to my horror, the marshmallow was burning and becoming speckled with bits of burned marshmallow. I removed the marshmallow from the heat and kept stirring but nothing helped.
My granddaughter Adelina came to where I stood and said, “hey everybody grandma is making s’mores, only she melted the marshmallows without a campfire.” Adelina proceeded to take the pot with burned marshmallow and made s’mores, her version.
I tried the recipe again using a double boiler and the marshmallow melted just great. I made the fondant exactly as the recipe stated with the exception of adding strawberry flavoring instead of vanilla. I used the fondant on sugar cookies. The fondant and cookies were a big hit. I found that the homemade version of fondant tasted much better than store bought. The only thing I had a hard time with was the coloring, it took a little more dye than the store bought. It is worth the extra time and coloring of homemade fondant to get a great tasting product. . I will use homemade fondant from now on. Believe me it is better than store bought. It rolls out the same as store bought, so give it a try!
p.s. Use a double boiler if you don’t have a microwave! It took me two days to wash the pan where I burned the marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment